Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Welcome! A little more explanation...

Welcome! A little more explanation...


I'm trying to make the study of Hebrew easy, fun, and free.

I was inspired by a book by Isaac Mozeson, The Word   the Dictionary That Reveals the Hebrew Source of English.   In this book, Mozeson defies conventional linguistic theory which teaches that this is no "original language"; that all languages evolved. Mozeson claims that there WAS an original language: Hebrew! If you're interested, you can look for his books on amazon.com. I studied linguistics once, a few generations ago, but not enough to know or care which theory is True. I said to myself, "I dunno if what this guy says is true or not; but it's a GREAT way to learn Hebrew! Or, if you're Israeli, to learn English!" I had the pleasure of actually meeting Mozeson in Jerusalem, and I told him this. He was kind enough to give me permission to use his book for my blog. If you know anybody who is interested in linguistics or serious language study, they would be interested in these books. You don't need them to use my blog.

Another book I am using to construct this blog is How the Hebrew Language Grew  by Edward Horowitz. This was printed in 1960 as a supplementary textbook for high school Hebrew classes. (It was a popular bar mitzva present in some circles) I did not secure permission from the author, who I assume is not available. (I hope I don't get sued!) The book, however, IS available on amazon.com. Horowitz includes a user-friendly intro to conventional linguistics, for those who are interested. I am finding it very useful; but here again, you don't need this book to use my blog!

What about that alphabet which everybody is so scared of? How important IS it to learn to read Hebrew, and how difficult is it to do so?
Let's just say that you can sorta get  along without it; but you shouldn't!
I'm going to transliterate words, meaning I'm going to write them in English letters, more-or-less as they sound to our Anglo ears. But I MUST write the words in Hebrew because SEEING the word in Hebrew gives us the key to using a big trick to simplify learning Hebrew: ROOTS!

"Practically all words in Hebrew go back to a root - and this root must have in it three consonants. You can do anything you want to the root: you can use it in any verb form or tense, you can turn it into any one of ten or twenty or more nouns. You can make it an adjective, adverb, preposition, or what you will... No matter what you do you will always see staring you in the face the three consonants of the root. You can never escape them."
Edward Horowitz, How the Hebrew Language Grew

You can only really SEE those roots if you know how to read Hebrew, at least minimally!

SO! If you don't read Hebrew yet, or if you feel the need for a review, go to a lovely, free site:


www.cartoonhebrew.com/

You can start using my program before you know the whole Hebrew alphabet perfectly. But you do 
have to work on it! There are other programs, but this one was so attractive to me that I'm not bothering 
to look further. If you like something else better, by all means, use it!

I'm gonna keep the lessons short, and, I hope, fun.
I'll improve my graphics etc. as my computer skills improve.
Feel free to tell me how I can improve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment